REQUIREMENTS FOR A HUNTER.YWH
ACCORDING TO THE SPANISH HUNTING FEDERATION THERE ARE A SERIES OF REQUIREMENTS TO BE ABLE TO HUNT IN SPAIN. THESE ARE THE FOLLOWING:
- You must be 14 years old, or 16 if you are in Galicia, and if you are a minor (14, 15, 16 and 17 years old) you must have the authorization of your parents or guardians. You do not need authorization if you are emancipated (from the age of 16 by parental consent or by the judge).
- To have passed the hunter’s exam established by the autonomous communities. This exam is only required for those who are going to obtain a hunting license for the first time.
- To be in possession of a regional hunting license for each hunting season. Each autonomous region issues its own license. The hunter must obtain the hunting license only for the community or communities in which he/she is going to hunt. It is possible, however, to obtain the so-called “single license” which allows hunting in several communities. The hunting license is personal and non-transferable, that is to say, it cannot be transferred to another person to hunt with it.
- To be in possession of the obligatory insurance of civil responsibility of the hunter. Without this insurance the hunting license is not valid.
- Be in possession of a firearms license for small game (type E) or big game (type D). To obtain a firearms license for the first time it is necessary to pass a theoretical and practical exam. Crossbows require a type E firearms license. Bows do not require a license. The competence for everything related to firearms and crossbows is the exclusive competence of the State (Ministry of the Interior, Guardia Civil-Intervención de Armas).
- In order to hunt, you must have the authorization, verbal or written, of the owner of the preserve.
- That he/she is not disqualified from hunting, that is to say, that he/she has not had his/her hunting license (or weapons license) withdrawn for any criminal or administrative infraction that he/she may have committed.
- When hunting, always hunt with gear or means that are legally permitted.
- Always hunt game, i.e. those species that are included in the regional lists of huntable species.
- To always hunt in the season or dates in which it is allowed to do so (closed season).
- And, in general, to hunt in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.